Friday, April 3, 2015

Elvis Presley's "The Last Farewell": A Consideration.


 
I have been listening to nothing but Elvis Presley since last October, but out of all of the songs in his catalog (& I've listened to them all), I don't think I've listened to any as much as "The Last Farewell." According to my iTunes Library, I've heard it some 75 times, although that doesn't count times where I listened to part of it but got interrupted before it finished. I imagine the number is closer to 100.

I am not sure why that is.

There are songs that draw you in for obvious reasons--their melody, arrangement, instrumentation, etc.--but this is not one of those songs. It is a fair-to-poor Elvis song off of a fair-to-poor Elvis album, the cumbersomely-titled From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, which was a polite way for his label RCA to name it He Is So Disillusioned, Unmotivated, & Depressed, We've Moved The Recording Equipment Into His House, But He Still Barely Uses It. Even Elvis-obsessed aficionados usually dismiss it along with the disappointing music at the end of his career; most treatises on Elvis fail to mention it at all.

When Elvis recorded "The Last Farewell" in February 1976, it was in his first night of recording sessions in the "Jungle Room" of Graceland. By that point, he was generally disinterested about anything relating to recording or producing music, but "The Last Farewell" seemed to be an exception.

Sometime in the summer of 1975, Elvis got a 45 of the song, originally written & recorded in 1971 by the English folksinger Roger Whittaker. Although the song was never much of a hit, it got some airplay some 4 years after its initial release, & was re-released. To date, it is one of the few songs to sell over 10 million copies worldwide.

"The Last Farewell" was not the greatest song ever written. It was maudlin & cliched, telling the tale of a nineteenth-century British maritime soldier returning home on a ship to England to fight in a war. Whittaker's vocal was competent, but not outstanding, & the production values were cheesy, even in the world of 1970s easy listening radio. Still, there was something unique that Elvis heard in it, & he listened to it over & over again, some 20 times a row, trying (& failing) to get his then-girlfriend Melissa Blackwood to appreciate it. "I just kind of like that song," Elvis told her.

He seemed anxious to cut his own version of it, & it was one of the first songs he tried in the Jungle Room. But, as Peter Guralnick described in the second volume of his definitive biography of Elvis, "the musicians were no more able to grasp its fascination than Melissa had been." They worked their way through the arrangement, largely basing it on Whittaker's original--the soaring strings & synthesizers, the dramatic musical flourishes, the small army of backing vocalists, only adding more of each, as though to mask the song with orchestration & flash.

For a man whose finest music sounds utterly timeless--say, "That's All Right," "Mystery Train," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog," "Suspicious Minds," & "Burning Love"--Elvis's cover of "The Last Farewell" is painfully dated. The production values sound like they were conceived in Rick Wakeman's head & the tone is much closer to adult contemporary pop than rock & roll. If not for Elvis's vocal, you'd think it was tailor-made for a Reprise-era Frank Sinatra.

Lyrically, it was one of the strangest things Elvis ever sang. The song is sung from the perspective of a British soldier heading back to his home in England in the nineteenth century; Elvis may have not always been the best match for his lyrical content (just check out "The Edge Of Reality" or "Raised On Rock"--or better yet, don't), but the idea of Elvis as a colonial-era British sailor is bizarre to the point of distraction. Indeed, hearing Elvis sing about returning "safe home again to England" where he "shall watch the English mist roll through the dell" is kind of ridiculous. & thrown into a musical score that sounds like it was written for a PBS Nova special, it is rendered even stranger.

Despite all of this, in the subdued, melancholy context of From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, the song jumps out to the listener with its tender refrain:

For you are beautiful
I have loved you dearly
More dearly than the spoken word can tell.

& again:

For you are beautiful
I have loved you dearly
More dearly than the spoken word can tell.

When Roger Whittaker sang these lines, he did it solo, singing just behind the beat to give it a slight swing (or as much as a Roger Whittaker song can swing). Elvis, on the other hand, keeps the melody directly on the beat & sings with a small entourage--most noticeably his frequent co-harmonizer, Charlie Hodges. It is the one part of the sea-inspired song that actually sounds like a sea-shanty, & it is the part that will stick in your head long after the song has ended, more saccharine than sweet, more cloying than beautiful.

If you listen to it enough times, you might notice that it sounds oddly familiar, & indeed, I find that it sounds just like the refrain of James Taylor's "Carolina In My Mind," originally released a few years before Whittaker's "The Last Farewell":

Can't you see the sunshine?
Can't you just feel the moonshine?

Did Whittaker accidentally lift the melody from Taylor? Or come with it on his own? & did Elvis, who knew James Taylor from covering his "Steamroller Blues" as part of his Aloha From Hawaii concert, hear this familiarity as well? If one connects the dots, a song like the down-home celebration of "Carolina In My Mind" is far closer to the kind of music Elvis liked to cut: All-American, country music-tinged anthems, unabashed with no irony. Did Elvis hear this song about British naval history & catch a melody at its center that brought everything home to the good ol' USA? If so, the vessel he sails is rooted in Carolina.

Perhaps this is what Elvis heard when he listened to it endlessly & tried to get his friends & band-mates interested in it, even if he couldn't exactly articulate why. I just kind of like that song.

If nothing else, it was all worth it if only because it allowed him to sing these lines, which hide in plain sight at the center of the song:

I have no fear of death, it brings no sorrow
But how bitter will be this last farewell?

As with any song that Elvis liked, he put his stamp on the music, which is to say that he sung the words like he meant them. Just as the melody of the refrain raised questions about its meaning for Elvis, so too does the lyric of the verse. Was he drawn to "The Last Farewell" because it was a rare song that looked death in the face but didn't flinch? As he was spending his days in bed & gaining weight on a diet of deep-fried food & prescription drugs, was it a statement about his current living condition (or lack thereof)?

& for us, as listeners, to hear Elvis sing these words, buried at the heart of an otherwise forgettable song on an otherwise forgettable album, what does it mean? They sound brave, but also offhanded, & ultimately prescient.

Furthermore, they are directly followed by the refrain:

For you are beautiful
I have loved you dearly
More dearly than the spoken word can tell

The fact that Elvis often called his audiences "beautiful" in his 1970s concerts towards the end of his life only seems to reinforce the idea that he is singing directly to us, his audience. & in so doing, it is the only love of his life that has stayed true through his musical career.

The song itself ultimately becomes a last farewell--& with all of its messiness & imperfections, it's a bitter one.

10 comments:

  1. The reason “E” sang this, was because of me. I called him “E” right from the start, which he informed me, “was a right reserved for only a hand full of people in his life.” And he told me a story about his Mother. “E” would get mad if the guys called him this. I was introduced to “E” the summer of 1971 in Elkins W.V.. Few knew that “E” would periodically check himself into the local hospital for what he call, “R&R.” You can check with the guys on this...and I was known as “the kid.” “E” pinched my 45 and a cassette that I had made of The Last Farwell the summer of 1975. Over the years “E” often would bugged me to know what music I liked. I had returned from a trip from England and had run across the song , as it was getting air time over there. I didn’t realize until years after his death that he recorded it. And the reason “E” (E got Joe to give me the tickets to what would be his last concert.. “E” told me to just get there. I had never seen him be so persistent about it. He just keeled saying, That he would not be able to meet me at the door, but the guys would show me where to sit. And he would know when I got there.) Joey E. had given me the tickets the last day I saw “E”. I couldn’t understand why he was so insistent as to my showing up. As it went down... my ride didn’t show up. I had no way of getting there. I didn’t know that “E” had planned on singing the song that night. You can ask the guys “E” canceled the song at the last minute, as I wasn’t there. This is the truth...if you really know him, you would know that “E” valued what he could keep out of the spot light. I was just a kid when I meet him. He was like a big brother to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you wrote in the 4 th line, he spoke to you of his Mother! But you left out the truth...what the nasty sob who wrote this article completely missed. Elvis like this song, and recorded this song,because it reminded him of his mother....for you are beautiful and I have loved you dearly. Yes the song is about a sailor...Elvis was a soldier when his mother died....the connection was made right there. Funny how people who write articles like this shouldn’t be allowed to pick up a pen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You couldn’t be farther from the truth…”E” told me the story about his mother because she was the one who called him this. It was a very private thing they had. “E” only let extremely close people to him call him this. Even Joey E. was not allowed to over use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Before reading your comment I had already been wondering to myself how Elvis had become aware of the song...overheard it on some radio station, or an acquaintance bringing it to his attention ... turns out, from your story it was the latter.

      Glad you brought it to his attention. There's no question he strongly connected with it, as verified by Melissa Blackwood personal recollection and his choosing to record it for album.

      Curious to know (or if you felt like divulging) how you came to be acquainted with Elvis close enough to be able to interact with Elvis on a personal level?

      Thanks again

      Delete
    2. It's DD...yes. I met "E" the summer of 1971. "E" use to check himself in my Dad's hospital, for what he called R&R. "E" always took the same room. It was a top floor counter front room. "E" liked it because, he could see down to the front entrance. This way he could tell when the press would show up. "E" might take an interview, which he would do over the phone. I was a Candy Striper that year and "E" would request for me. "E" called me the "kid". "E" would check himself in and out. (I realized now that "E" did this on his flights leaving Vegas.) What the public didn't know was that "E" usually didn't fly back into Graceland. His plane would. But a lot of the times "E" and the guys would drive home at night. I imagine it was reminiscent of like when they did in the beginning. They would tell stories about hanging around with Big Bertha, and anyone listening would probably think they were talking about a woman. But that's what they called the tour bus back in the day. I was just a kid and I thought of him like a big brother. "E" use to tell people I was his kid sister. He thought that was funny. To me "E" was one of the funniest guy's I ever knew. They were always playing jokes on the staff and each other. One of my favorite times was when "E" cooked. "E" went to the refrigerator and cut off a couple of pieces of ham. If my memory serves me right...He liked Virginia ham. He heated it up in a frying pan and put the ham and some pineapple slices in it,and toasted hamburger 🍔 buns. "E" melted some swiss cheese over the ham. "E" assembled it...then he held it up and admired it from all angles, smiled and said, "Now that's what I call a HAM-BERGER." He would laugh and laugh. "E" said, When he was a boy they were poor, but he didn't know it And his Mama would make him a fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich a lot of times for dessert." He told me at the time, "E"said, "You're really young now but sometimes you'll understand." I do now!.

      Delete
    3. Fascinating stories DD. Odd, because I don't think Elvis ever cooked for himself a day in his life, and I highly doubt he would while in a hospital. Hey, but who knows, right? Wonder why he would hide out in WV?

      Delete
  4. BTW...in later years Linda was there! If you talk to her tell her I always like the red fur coat she wore on occasions. It matched her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another time sticks out in my mind. It was late Fall of 1973. I was walking out of EHS (Highschool) and a car pulled up beside me. It was the guys, (You know them as the Memphis Mafia. I called them The Yes Men. Because they always said yes to "E".) They were hanging out the window of the car. I went on ignoring them. They said, "E's back in town and he's been asking about you. You know we're he is! (Meaning he was in Daddy's hospital.)This happened a lot while I was in highschool, or wherever. "E" would have me hunted down, and the Yes Men would be sent out to find me. They continued, "Are you going up?" I went on ignoring them. They continue, "If we tell him you'll be there, you'll come...right? You, you, know how he doesn't like being disappointed." I mumbled,yes! (All the time knowing, their jobs could be on the line.) They looked at each other, with a sigh of relief. I had things to do that day, so it would be later. The police station in town was adjacent to the hospital parking lot, and I was to take my driver's license test. I took it. And I passed. So ran across the parking lot, and in the back door. I took the elevator up to "E"'s floor. (Remember "E" always took the same room.) I ran all the way down the hall, and through the closed double doors. The guys where hanging out at the end of the hallway, just outside of "E"'s room. I never stopped. I flung myself around, grabbing the side of the doorway as I entered the room. Yelling, " "E" let's go. Let's get the car out. I got my driver's license and I can drive now. I can even drive you. Come on! I was waving my license back and forth, in my hand. Which "E" grabbed! I was so excited about getting my license, that I hadn't realize that he was sitting in a chair, up against the wall, by the door. "E" still had his shoes and his street clothes on,. And not his typical glown and gaudy bathrobe he normally wore. He said nothing. He just looked forlorn. I glanced back out to the hallway, at the guys. They turned and looked away. I thought, "What's going on?" " E" had my license in his hand...as he went on flipping it around and around. "As he said, "Little one", (He called me that whenever I was to learn something.) "Just promise me something, will ya?" I said, "Sure "E" anything." "E", "Just promise me, you'll never grow up...I...I ..I... don't mean it like that. I just mean, don't grow up too fast, now will ya? E's can't take that, E's, E's heart just can take that." He went on saying ..."One can never lose family? Can they not? Just promise me this." (I was to learn later, from the guys that P and E had divorced.) [*Through the years I learned that I was shuffled in when they needed to cheer my big brother up. See "E" was always there for me. So much of my growing up is mixed with his.]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roger Whitaker did not write the lyrics for "The Last Farewell."

    Whitaker had a radio show in 1971, in the UK, and he invited folks to send him their songs, poetry, and he would pick the best ones and set them to music.

    "The Last Farewell" was written as a poem and came from Ron Webster, a silversmith from Birmingham, England. Whitaker put music to the lyrics.

    He recorded the song in his studio, and it was issued on an LP in 1971. The song was more popular in England and Canada, but it didn't really go anywhere.

    Here in Atlanta, Ga., in 1975, there was a radio station with call letters WLTA. The program director's wife was traveling in Canada and heard the song on the radio. She told her husband about the song, and asked him to play it on the air.

    He did.

    People started calling the radio station, asking for the song. This is how the song hit in the U.S. and became Whitaker's signature song.

    ReplyDelete